Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) uses noise canceling speakers to reduce unwanted background noise
Bang & Olufsen - Active Noise Cancellation
A SHORT MANUAL
What is Active Noise Cancellation?
A SHORT MANUAL
Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) technology uses a noise cancellation system to reduce unwanted background noise. The system relies on microphones that "listen" to sounds outside and inside the headphones, an ANC chipset that reverses the sound waves, and a speaker inside the headphones that cancels out outside sound with neutralizing sound waves. How would you take +2 from the outside and add -2 to the inside to make zero.
Active noise cancellation can be processed via the ANC chipset using either:
1) a feed-forward ANC system, having a microphone that is placed on the outside of the headphones
2) a feedback ANC system having a microphone that is placed inside the headphones
3) a hybrid ANC system that is a combination of a feed-forward ANC system and a feed-back ANC system
Noise Cancellation types and configurations
Your headphones can cancel noise in a number of ways. Choose the setting, mode or type of noise cancellation that suits your commute or enhances your relaxation time.
· Passive noise cancellation uses well-designed ear cups to isolate unwanted noise. This technology is used for both over-ear and in-ear headphones, where the headphones themselves will isolate you from the surrounding noise.
· Active noise cancellation uses microphones and speakers to reduce background and ambient noise. This is the most common type and has been used mostly in over-ear headphones. The technology has become so small and battery efficient now that it can be used in true wireless in-ear headphones.
· Active Active Noise Cancellation uses microphones and speakers to automatically adapt to the surrounding environment. This is the more sophisticated type of ANC where the level of noise cancellation digitally adapts to the environment.
· Adjustable active noise cancellation lets you change how much background noise you hear. This is useful when you want to have full control.
· Transparency mode allows you to easily reconnect to the world around you without stopping the music or removing the headphones from your ears.
· Adjustable transparency mode lets you change how much of the outside world you want to hear without stopping your music.
Traveling with ANC
Whether you want to spend your journey listening to a podcast, your favorite album, or simply blocking out the noise around you so you can enjoy your journey in peace, headphones with ANC have you covered. Enabling ANC mode on your headphones will consume more battery. So if you don't care too much about noise when traveling, you can turn off ANC to extend battery life. The best choice for a plane ride would be headphones with hybrid ANC, as they will act on both low-frequency sounds - like the deep rumble of an airplane - and higher frequencies, like people's voices.